REPORT: Department of Ophthalmology, Puerta de Hierro-Majadahonda University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Ophthalmological care during COVID-19 pandemic outbreak in a Spanish tertiary eye care referral centre in Madrid
As COVID-19 pandemic spread, our Ophthalmology Department at Puerta de Hierro-Majadahonda University Hospital in Madrid progressively implemented several measures with the main goal of protecting both healthcare professionals and patients from contracting the virus.
– Slit lamp screen protection was installed in every office.
– The use of surgical masks and gloves became compulsory for doctors and nurses attending patients as well as for administration personnel.
– All patients were contacted by telephone to check for suspicious symptoms prior to consultation. If symptoms were present, the patient was suggested to attend their reference centre. Patients attending our department were asked to be accompanied by one person only and to wear mask and gloves.
– Only patients in need for regular controls were visited:
- Exudative AMD and proliferative diabetic retinopathy patients followed their previously established treatment schedule.
- Myopic patients being treated for CNV, DME, retinal vein occlusion and postoperative cataract surgery patients asked about clinical stability. If a worsening was reported, they attended their consultation as scheduled.
- Patients suffering from corneal infections, ocular trauma and postoperative retina, cornea and glaucoma patients attended their consultations as scheduled.
– Part of our Department’s personnel (doctors, residents and nurses) was required to assist COVID-19 units.
– All scheduled surgery was cancelled.
– An emergency operating room remained functional for the treatment of patients suffering from retinal detachments, massive haemorrhages, ocular trauma and perforations and any other ocular condition requiring emergency surgery.
– An ophthalmological emergency room remained operational as usual for the attention of urgent conditions.
The medical team directly contributed the conception of this organization.