london euretina

This meeting has been awarded 20 CME credits

Security Notice

Please note that Kuoni are our only destination management company. Other venders indicating that are operating for the society should be ignored. We never use western union as a payment portal

Posters

Evaluation of a teleophthalmology programme for diabetic retinopathy screening

Poster Details

First Author: R.Arroyo SPAIN

Co Author(s):    N. Olivier   E. Quintanilla               0   0 0   0 0   0 0   0 0

Abstract Details



Purpose:

To ascertain the effectiveness of a teleophthalmology scheme for diabetic retinopathy (DR) screening using non-midriatic digital retinal camera in primary health care practices (PHCP) in “Area Sanitaria de Ferrol” from 2009 to 2013

Setting:

COMPLEJO HOSPITALARIO UNIVERSITARIO DE FERROL (SPAIN)

Methods:

The area population is 186,803 of which 71.97 % have access to non-midriatic fundus cameras through their GP practice. Evaluated indicators were: diabetic population screened, number of teleconsultations, medium wait for tele –versus face consultations and changes in the ratio of patient referrals to ophthalmology office.

Results:

8161 retinographies were performed during the study period; 54.47% in diabetic patients. The remaining 45.53 % were performed for other reasons (non screening). 26.34 % of the diabetic population in the area were screened, which means 38.22 % of diabetics with access to fundus camera in their PHCP. 68.26 % of the retinographies were sent to the ophthalmologist (Teleconsultations). The mean waiting time in December 2013 was 17.3 days for a teleconsultation and 56.91 for a face to face consultation . The ratio of referrals to ophthalmology was 4.54 % in PHCP with retinographs and 5.11 % in those without it.

Conclusions:

The most relevant outcome is the increased accessibility for patients at risk (mean wait 17.3 vs 56.91 days) We only screened 26.34 % of the target population, so measures should be taken to improve the coverage of the program. Non-diabetic patients have benefited from the scheme, which opens new perspectives to extend screening for other ophthalmic diseases such as Age Macular Disease. We found no differences in the demand for face to face care between general practices with or without fundus camera.

Back to previous
EURETINA, Temple House, Temple Road, Blackrock, Co Dublin. | Phone: 00353 1 2100092 | Fax: 00353 1 2091112 | Email: euretina@euretina.org

Privacy policyHotel Terms and Conditions Cancellation policy