personal scheduler Hamburg 2013 - Main Site Press Release 2013 Call for Abstracts General Information Programme Overview Letter from the President Keynote Lectures Main Sessions NEW - Free Paper Session Instructional Courses World Retina Day Retinal Detachment Course Uveitis Course Other Symposia Surgical Skills Training Courses
hamburg banner

Densiron- a wonderful tamponading agent in complex paediatric retinal detachments - a success story (case series)

Session Details

Session Title: Vitreoretinal Surgery III

Session Date/Time: Friday 27/09/2013 | 11:00-12:30

Paper Time: 12:20

Venue: Hall 3 (Level 0)

First Author: S.Mishra INDIA

Co Author(s):    J. Parihar   R. Maggon   H. Trehan        

Abstract Details

Purpose:

To study the effectiveness of Densiron-a high density tamponading agent for complex paediatric retinal detachments with proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR).

Setting:

Army Hospital (Research and Referral) Delhi Cantt, New Delhi,INDIA

Methods:

A prospective series where 24 eyes of 24 paediatric patients were studied who had complex retinal detachment with proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR) using Densiron-a high density tamponading agent.Primary end point was anatomic attachment of retina following removal of Densiron oil

Results:

All cases had complex retinal Detachment ranging from inferior retinal detachment to total retinal detachments. 92% cases has associated proliferative Vitreoretinopathy (PVR). Densiron was used as primary tamponading agent in 70% cases. Remaining 30% of cases had prior unsucessful surgery for retinal Detachment. 22 patients (92%) cases had successful reattachment at 3 to 6 months after removal of Densiron. Of those with successful re attachments, visual recovery was variable, 80% cases had improvement of two to four lines on Snellen, 16% had no objective improvement while 1% had deterioration in visual acuity

Conclusions:

The anatomic success rate is high (92%) in patients requiring Densiron as tamponading agent in complex retinaldetachment. Also the major advantage in Densiron was that patient was not required to keep face down position which is difficult to maintain in paediatric patients thus achieving high success rate. Also only in one case, emulsification was noted which is against the reported data in literature mentioned as disadvantage of Densiron

Back to Freepaper Session
EURETINA, Temple House, Temple Road, Blackrock, Co Dublin. | Phone: 00353 1 2100092 | Fax: 00353 1 2091112 | Email: euretina@euretina.org

Privacy policyHotel Terms and Conditions Cancellation policy