Posters

Result of anatomical success and visual improvement after macular hole surgery when use only sterile air tamponade with 2-day face-down positioning

Poster Details

First Author: A.Amphornphruet THAILAND

Co Author(s):    S. Tipapong   W. Mahatthanatrakul                          

Abstract Details



Purpose:

To assess the anatomical success and visual improvement after macular hole surgery which use only sterile air tamponade with 2 days face-down positioning.

Setting:

Prospective case series, 30 eyes from 28 patients with idiopathic macular hole.

Methods:

All patients were undergone macular hole surgery with sterile air tamponade. Those patients had to facedown for 2 days after surgery. Best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) and spectral domain-OCT imaging were followed up after 2 days, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months and 6 months of surgery. Eligibility criteria included idiopathic macular hole without previous vitreoretinal surgery, diagnosed full-thickness macular hole by indirect ophthalmoscope and confirmed full-thickness macular hole by spectral domain-OCT. The exclusion criteria included non-idiopathic macular hole, other retinal diseases, and chronic macular hole.

Results:

Macular hole closure was achieved in 27 of 30 eyes (90%). The final BCVA was range between 20/25 and 20/500 by Snellen chart. Preoperative BCVA which equal or worse than 20/200 was 41.18%, the remaining which better than 20/200 was 58.82%. Postoperative BCVA which equal or worse than 20/200 was 23.53%, the remaining (BCVA better than 20/200) was 76.47%.

Conclusions:

Macular hole surgery which used sterile air tamponade and followed by short duration of postoperative facedown positioning improved BCVA, anatomical macular hole closure and early post operative quality of life. No financial disclosure.

Back to previous
EURETINA, Temple House, Temple Road, Blackrock, Co Dublin. | Phone: 00353 1 2100092 | Fax: 00353 1 2091112 | Email: euretina@euretina.org

Privacy policyHotel Terms and Conditions Cancellation policy